Thursday 9 June 2011

Comparison Between China Glaze 2030 vs China Glaze Passion

It's the gold comparison I've wanted to do for awhile.

China Glaze 2030 is from the Khrome collection in Fall/Winter 2009; whereas China Glaze Passion is from the Romantique collection in Spring 2009.

Initially, I wanted to get 2030 for stamping but it was out of stock in many e-tailers. Googling told me that Passion is also a gold from China Glaze which can be used for konading as well, so I had to settle for that. A few weeks later, 2030 was available again, but I was reluctant to get similar colors. I searched on the internet for a comparison of both colors but it wasn't really helpful, so I hope this post can help some girls out there to make up their minds.


China Glaze Passion (left) vs China Glaze 2030 (right)
As seen in the pictures, Passion is a more yellow toned gold than 2030.
2030 seems to have a little bronze tone added to it.

Bottle comparison. Passion left; 2030 right.
On the nails, these are two very different nail polish, different texture, different finish, and slightly different color.
Passion is the more yellow gold, the antique gold, the tone is warmer; whereas 2030 is a cooler gold, the modern gold, more like sci-fi gold.
If Passion is a grandmother, then 2030 is the grandchild.
For me, 2030 is a young gold; whereas Passion seems to be a more seasoned gold.


Passion looks more yellow than 2030

Passion has more yellow pigment than 2030 as can seen from the picture above.

Apart from that, the finish of the polish sets them apart as well.
2030 dries very quickly to a very smooth thin finish. When you touch 2030, it feels smooth and metallic.
Passion takes a longer time to dry, and it has the tacky feel of nail polish. It is thicker and feels as though you make a visible dent with your nails.
2030 vs passion
2030 has a thinner formula, easy and quick to apply. It doesn't drag and is opaque in 1 coat.
Passion has a thicker formula, a little draggy and some brush stroke problem, but it is also a 1 coater.


L to R: Passion, 2030, Passion
The picture above shows very obvious brush strokes markings from Passion, whereas 2030 has a smoother and more mirror like finish. Some brush strokes shown on 2030 is entirely user error.


If you want to do a full gold manicure, I recommend 2030. 2030 dries quicker, and it does not have that much brush strokes problem. The finish is wonderfully mirror-like and smooth, and it feels very thin as though there aren't any polish on your fingers.

However, if you want to do stamping, it's much better to use China Glaze Passion. Passion dries slower, so it gives you more time to transfer you design onto your nails.

Aside from that, both colors are very very similar when used for stamping, so I would definitely suggest Passion for stamping.
2030 dries a little too quick for my liking, making it particularly difficult to pick up small designs.

China Glaze 2030 vs China Glaze Passion
All in all, I've had fun doing this gold comparison and I do hope it will help others who are indecisive between the both.
In short, think of 2030 as a pink skintone, and Passion as a yellow skintone.

Till then girls, bye!

6 comments:

  1. This was very helpful thanks! I can't lay my hands on 2030 so have ordered some Passion instead - mainly for stamping. Can't wait to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nailstyle,
    thank you for your comment, I'm really glad it helped you because I was in such dilemma before as well. Passion konad beautifully, I'm sure you won't regret it. 2030 dries too quickly to my liking, and you definitely wont see the difference on a konad design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was SO helpful as I've been trying to find the best gold for stamping. Thank you very much for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very much welcome. :D Glad it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm lemming for 2030 which is really hard to find whereas Passion is everywhere. It makes sense that 2030 dries fast bec Hi-Tek does too. I'll go for Passion now. So many many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Passion but I never used it for stamping, I just keep looking for 2030. Poor Passion, I have to try it out tonight, much thanks to this post!

    ReplyDelete